2013/06/26

Sunshine raining on our parade




Given the weather for the past week and the name of the photography group ("Tropang HABAGAT", lit. "monsoon group"), I was actually hoping for the rare opportunity to shoot some portraits in the rain. What we got instead was an overcast sky followed by a blast of sunshine later in the afternoon.

The best-laid plans of mice and men...




I actually started with the EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 kit lens, but I immediately realized that the narrow aperture couldn't separate the model from the distracting backgrounds. Once again, I found myself stuck with the Lensbaby for some poor man's extreme boke.






Approximately 8 usable photographs after 5 hours of shooting with 4 models.

Yes, the numbers are unprofessional, and I'm glad that I'm not trying to make a living out of photography. Then again, I can't imagine enjoying any creative activity if clients are thrown into the equation.





Pretty much the only time I didn't mind Canon's tendency of blowing out highlights in JPEG.
Instant high-key photograph.


With the exception of the first 2 or 3 shots, pretty much the whole day was spent shooting with full manual control (focus, aperture, ISO, and shutter speed) due to limitations of the lens design. In the case of the Lensbaby, even Aperture priority fails since the camera isn't designed to measure light coming in from unusual angles.

It's definitely not the most efficient work flow, but I suppose that's also why it feels a little more rewarding than usual when the pictures do come out right.






Another unconventional lens which I wanted to experiment with was the fisheye. Given its insanely wide field of view, one promising application is presenting a model/subject in an interesting location.

Unfortunately, none of the models or other photographers were willing to shoot at the bridge within the lagoon. Then again, the wide angle of view would have also been a pain in the ass since we would have had to wait ages for other people to clear the vicinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment