2014/02/16

Outside the UP Fair 2014

Launching a Dream


I made a promise to myself last year that I would also attend the UP Fair of 2014.

Unfortunately, a busy schedule and a ridiculously long waiting line prevented that from becoming a reality.


The entrance to the fair grounds...

...and the long...

...and winding line...

...that stretched all the way to Palma Hall.


After standing in line for about 2 hours, we were then informed that the tickets have been sold out and the venue could no longer accommodate additional people.

My sincerest thanks go to that stranger who made the waiting much more bearable; I can't exactly recall the last time I've had a chat that spanned 3-4 hours. We never did get each others' names, did we? Haha.







<photography babble>


I went to last year's fair on 2 separate days with nothing more than a point and shoot, and that went without a hitch (approx. 15 minutes waiting in line).

This year, I had brought a DSLR, a bag of lenses, a monopod, and a remote trigger; but I couldn't even gain access to the venue.
The best-laid plans of mice and men
Often go awry
- Robert Burns
Or, as today's internet denizens might eloquently put it: orz.


On the bright side, this was still an educational experience for photography. Although they tend to be cumbersome and unnecessary in bright daylight, I've learning that monopods can be ridiculously useful for shooting at night and other low-light situations.

My 2 main lenses on that night were the Samyang 8mm f/3.5 fisheye and the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. Neither of these had image stabilization (a.k.a. IS, VR, VC, etc.).

8mm fisheye, f/5.6, ISO1600, 1/8 sec

8mm fisheye, f/5.6, ISO1600, 1/4 sec

17mm, f/2.8, ISO800, 1 sec

Granted, these samples aren't perfect, but they demonstrate how it's possible to get away with slow shutter speeds which I couldn't even pull off with handheld IS lenses.

</photography babble>

No comments:

Post a Comment