2012/07/15

Upgrades

Just purchased the cheapest full-HD LED monitor I could get my hands on.


Samsung Series 3 T23A350 — pretty decent bang per buck


It's not much of an improvement for stuff such as viewing pages or even watching videos (my vision's bad enough that 1080p offers no significant advantages over 720p). However, it means a world of difference for tasks such as image editing.

Although I've had no issues in the past with resized images; the menus, icons, and toolbars (all with fixed pixel counts which meant no resizing) took up an annoying amount of the screen's real estate. Basically, they took up a third of the entire screen, which left only two-thirds of the screen for the actual images themselves.

The current dual-screen setup allows more efficient sorting of tasks, with the first screen (1280x800) dedicated to file management, while the second screen (1920x1080) is dedicated to viewing and editing.




Another feature that I'll be using quite often is the monitor's 2 HDMI ports. Due to the dedicated hardware, loading and displaying of images is significantly faster on the camera than on any PC. However, the 3-inch screen on the camera itself is not ideal for checking fine details such as focus and blur. The ideal setup for the initial culling of images would be to connect the camera to a higher resolution screen via the (mini)HDMI port. Since the monitor has 2 ports, I don't even have to remove the connection to the laptop.

-----=====-----

All's well and good; I only hope that I don't strangle myself somehow in my sleep now that wires take up a third of the space on my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment